Way back when, before blogs existed, I was journaling. Here’s a verbatim transcript of my journal entry from this day, 19 years ago, in 1994.
So on Tuesday, Jan 18th 1994 
I went over to the Georgetown library to introduce myself to Debbie Gordon. I’d called earlier in the day to find out if she was working. 
I came in past the desk, they wear name tags, and there was a Debbie at the counter. I went back to the books and picked one out (I really did need a book, I wasn’t operating on an entirely hidden agenda)
I screwed my courage to the sticking point and went casually up to the desk. By a stroke of fate Debbie was checking out books. She looked pleasant and nice , so I said hi and asked if she was Debbie Gordon. We talked for a minute about our mothers. 
And she was nice, friendly and pleasant to talk to. I don’t remember much, but she had pretty eyes and a nice, nice smile. 
So later that night, between the end of the Purdue-IU basketball game and the start of OT (Purdue won 83-76) I called her and asked her if she’d like to go see Evita w/ me Tuesday.
The rest, as they say, is history.
Here’s a clip from the actual journal page.
1. I obviously recognized this was a Big Day to record it so portentously.
2. In retrospect that seems creepily stalkerish. Didn’t seem like it at the time though.
3. She told me later she had a cold and was just miserable.
4. Debbie’s mom and my mom worked together at Fort Wayne Community Schools. That’s how I knew where to go stalk her.
5. That first impression is still true to this day. I still melt when she looks at me and smiles.