He was a member of the council of Altdorf, eventually becoming the head of the council. From 1626-28, he moved to Bellinzona, Switzerland (or Bollenze) — in the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland not far from Livinen — where he served as the landvogt, or bailiff.
He married Veronika Reppulin, with whom he had a large family of 9 children. As a junior branch of the family, their genealogy has not been well-documented and they could possibly be among the founders of other branches of the Zumbrunnen family.
Name: Johann Zumbrunnen
Residence: Altdorf and Bellinzona
Spouse: Veronika Reppulin
Children: Caspar Zumbrunnen, Melchior Zumbrunnen, Franz Zumbrunnen, Catharina Zumbrunnen, Anna Maria Zumbrunnen, Balthasar Zumbrunnen, Madelaine Zumbrunnen, Mansuetus Zumbrunnen III, Joachim Zumbrunnen
Cousins: Heinrich Zumbrunnen, Johann Zumbrunnen, Margareta Zumbrunnen, Barbara Zumbrunnen
- Johann Zumbrunnen entry in the Historical Dictionary of Switzerland
- Johann Zumbrunnen entry in the Nobiliaire Militaire Suisse.
- Johann Zumbrunnen entry at the Zumbrunnen-Family.ch genealogy website.
- Johann Zumbrunnen entry at FamilySearch.org (free registration required).
- Johann is included in the Necrology of the Brotherhood of Old Grysen.