In Altdorf, in the 1500 and 1600s, a number of the prominent residents of the Canton of Uri belonged to a brotherhood named “Old Grysen.” The exact purpose of the brotherhood is unclear to me, but it was ecclesiastical, or at least church-affiliated, in character. The book is of interest because it establishes membership in the brotherhood for some of our Zumbrunnen ancestors and records some of their years of death. (You can read a bit more about older Necrologies here).
The books have been transcribed by historians. The lists below draw on a transcription published in 1910 in the Journal of Swiss Church History. Not all the death years were written down but, because the people were listed in chronological order of death, the historians were able to infer many of the dates from the surrounding people on the list. The data added by historians is in [brackets] whereas the rest of the information is the direct transcription. Below are all the entries for our ancestors; a relatively small slice of the overall necrology.
-  Hans Zum Brunnen, was Landammann [Fallen 13/14 Sep 1515 in the battle of Marignano]
- Werni Zberg [Von Erstfeld. Margrith Zumbrunnen is his wife]
- [Abt. 1549] Andreas Zum Brunnen [son of Landammann Johann Zumbrunnen and Dorothea von Beroldingen; Katharina Kas was his wife]
-  Mansuetus Zum Brunnen, was Landammann [Elected in 1548 and died
At the end of this year or at the beginning of 1549]
- [Abt. 1555] Erasmus Zum Brunnen [Son of Landammann Mansuetus, Gertrud Kluser is his wife.]
- [Abt. 1564] Hug Dauid Zum Brunnen, was landschrieber [Son of Landammann Mansuet]
-  Johannes Zum Brunnen, was landammann [1579-1581]
-  Josue Zum Brunnen, is landschreiber
- 1618 Ensign Heinrich Zum Brunnen, of the council
- 1629 Johannes zum Brunnen, is bailiff of Bolenze [1626-1628]
- 1639 Ensign Caspar Zum Brunnen [son of bailiff of Bolenze Johann Zumbrunnen and Veronika Rueplin]
- 1645 Captain Antoni zum Brunnen
- 17 Apr 1648 died Johann Heinrich Zum Brunnen, was a Knight in the Order of St. Michaels, Landammann [1621, 1622, 1637, 1638] and general of Uri.